Monday 12 December 2011

Creative Block

When i came across this I just had to share it.

source



When I first started being an illustrator I didn't know it would be so tough. I am my biggest critic and most of the time I can be really cruel to myself.

There are so many talented artists out there that are much much better than myself. Of course this makes me feel discouraged and at times I feel like quitting. I am ashamed to say that I perhaps have slowly quit. I haven't illustrated in the past couple of weeks, thinking what was the point? It will never look as good as I want it to be and how can I compete with all the other illustrators?

After seeing this and reading the comments from other artists, I am glad to see that I am not the only one who feels this way.

I have met other illustrators and the only advice they could give me was "Keep doing lots of work"
 I sometimes wonder if this was the best advice they could give me. Yes I can do more work but will it make me happy with what I have produced or make me more miserable because I never think my work is good enough?

The last two lines from the poster got to me. It gave me the answer I much needed to hear. 

It WILL take awhile. It's NORMAL to take awhile.

All I gotta do is

FIGHT MY WAY THROUGH.

Thanks for listening/ reading.

1 comment:

  1. I feel exactly the same way. I've been in a rut for a few months because I'm too afraid that if I start drawing again, I won't be satisfied with my work and I'll officially give up. The amount of good artists out there is overwhelming and completely intimidating, and it takes a lot of confidence/hard work to elbow your way through. It just takes time and constantly reminding yourself why you love creating things in the first place.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me happy and I am sure they make you happy too. Leave a link to your blog and I will drop by and say hello :) xx