this is what it's supposed to look like. what a pretty cake.
not so pretty cake.
Here ya go, the recipe for Carnation Lemon Drench Cake
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Baking time: 55-65 minutes
225g (8oz) butter, softened
4 large eggs, beaten
397g can Carnation Condensed Milk
50g (2oz) ground almonds <--- I forgot this!
finely grated zest and juice of a lemon
225g (8oz) self raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp poppy seeds <-- didn't put poppy seeds either
juice of 3 large lemons
100g (4oz) icing sugar
2 tbsp lemon juice
100g (4oz) icing sugar, sifted
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celcius, 350 degrees Farenheit, Gas Mark 4.
2. Grease and base line a 20cm (8in) spring-form cake tin with baking parchment
3. Place all the cake ingredients in a large bowl and beat together using an electric hand whisk until just smooth and pale. Pour into the prepared tin and bake for 55-65 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the middle of the cake.
4. Make the syrup by warming together the lemon juice and icing sugar. Whilst the cake is still warm, make holes all over it with a skewer, then gradually spoon over the syrup, allowing it to sink into the cake. Leave it to cool in the tin.
5. Make the icing: add the lemon juice gradually to the icing sugar until you have a thick pouring consistency. When the cake is cool, transfer to a serving plate and drizzle over the lemon icing.